Saturday, September 8, 2012

It's not ment to be funny



Today a Man called in from a Halfway House in need of Disability.
(For those of you who don't know.... A Halfway house is where people go when they have been released from Prison but are not yet completely cleared to be out of custody.)
This man was an older gentleman and was very polite.
He said "Yes, Ma'm" "Thank you Maim" to everything with such sincerity, that I could truly feel how much he wanted/need help.
He had all his little papers ready and was so eager to please.
It broke my heart a little bit....
This Man had made some bad choices in his life, but was ready to get his life back together.
I could tell though from his voice he was use to being treated poorly due to his bad choices.
So I broke a rule.
I went personal.
I told him my own Dad had been in a Halfway House for a little while so I knew that it could be tough to get everything all ready to get released.
"Oh Ma'm...really?"
I could hear the tears of gratitude in his voice and it made tears of my own well up in my eyes.
All this man needed was a little help and a lot of understanding.
No judgment.
I remembered when I need the exact same thing from others about four years ago.

1 comment: